Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fermented Foods: The Adventure Begins

Why learn to culture or ferment foods?  A good question.  To this keen observer of all things social, it is up to each of us as individuals to take charge of our health.  It seems apparent  that government, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and the medical establishment do not have our best interest when it comes to being healthy.

In the past few years, I have studied herbs, sprouts, edible clay, activated charcoal, raw vegan foods, minerals, but have yet to enter the arena of cultured and fermented foods.  A medical doctor (I do not recall which one) made the claim that all disease begins in the intestines.  On reflection, this made sense.  Even if it is not 100&% accurate, it may be a good philosophy to followSo, on my own journey of a more healthy lifestlye, I felt it was time to discover the magical world of probiotics and fill the guts of me and mine with healthy flora.

As I look back, I recall it was a hot August day in 2011,  that I decided to make the plunge, and order some cultures.  Being a very reasonable person, I decided to try:  Kombucha Tea, Water Kefir, and Viila Yogurt. On Saturday August 20, 2011 my first shipment of culture goodies arrived.  In forthcoming posts, I will detail my efforts  to become the next, great fermentation guru.

No comments: