Sunday, August 28, 2011

Kambucha: My First Foray into Fermented Foods.

How to make Kambucha tea; a few basics for the purpose of clarity in the following article.  Kambucha is reputed to be full of healthy bacteria and have a powerful probiotic effect in gut, and is also claimed to be a blood cleaner due to enzymes that mimic those found in the liver.  Kambucha is yeast and bacteria living in a symbiotic relationship in what are often called a “mushroom” or scoby.   The scoby is placed in a glass container for 5 to 30 days.  The shorter the period, the sweeter the tea, the longer it ferments the more vinegary the resulting product.  However the longer it ferments the stronger the health effects.  As I made my first batch of Kambucha, I followed along with the learning videos at Culture for Health.

Day 1:

I began by boiling a couple of cups of clean water and placing it in a sterilized one quart mason jar.  I added one-fourth a cup of organic sugar and three green tea bags.  I then patiently waited for the tea to steep and the water to cool to room temperature.  Then it was on to actually adding the Kambucha culture.

The Kambucha starter and scoby arrived well packaged for shipping;  not so great for opening and pouring out.  It was in two plastic bags and covered in tape.  And, the tape was rather firmly attached to the bags.  After much head scratching and puzzling, I decided to cut open one corner with a pair of scissors and pour the Kambucha starter into the prepared tea.  A very small amount spilled out and onto my hands.  To say the reek was an assault on one’s nostrils and finer sensibilities would be an understatement; something like, apple-cider vinegar and nuclear waste.  I was firmly convinced I would never drink this stuff nor knew anyone who would. 

Though wobbly on my feet, I did manage to get the starter liquid and scoby into the mason jar, and covered the jar with a coffee filter and a rubber band.  I then fled to the outdoors and what passes for fresh air in the suburbs of South-West Missouri.  Coming back into the house, I found my son staring out the window.  Being somewhat curious, I asked what he was looking for.  Where-upon he informed me that he was waiting for the black helicopters and the people in hazmat suits.  I, of course, chided him, as I really frown upon overt exaggeration.  But, the house did smell for hours. 
Finally, I placed the kambucha tea in a far-off corner, in a far-off closet and hoped for the best. 

Day 5:
On the fifth day, I did the straw test…I was really looking forward to this… Taking said straw I placed it with diligent caution into the mixture and extracted a small amount of liquid.  Shock, amazement, and absolute wonder, it was very good.  Closest I could say, would be liquid honey.  And, not only did I have my original mama kambucha mushroom, but a brand new baby scoby…I was so proud…

Day 7:

Time to strain, try out, and start a new batch.  But, I decided to write this blog on my efforts to learn to culture and ferment foods and wouldn’t it be nice to have photos to show off my accomplishments.  This meant learning to use a digital camera, and take clear focused photos.  The kambucha did not get strained, tasted, nor a new batch started.

Day 8:
Photos taken, it was time to finish the first batch.  I decided to split up mama and baby kambucha mushrooms and make two one-quart batches.  One batch for the 5-6 day minimum wait and one to let set for a while and use as starter.  Now the big question: how did it taste?  Only a small sip was sampled today, the rest set back in a sealed jar to ferment some more, get that fizz going.  It was still very sweet with an apple-lemony like taste that dances on the pallet with a mild undertone of vinegar.  All-in-all a satisfactory experience.

No comments: